Why Should My Church Participate in a Church & School Partnership?
- If we want to help the next generation break the cycle of poverty, the key is LITERACY.
- The 3rd grade reading level is tied to poverty, teen pregnancy, drug use, incarceration, and the dropout rate in high school.
- Children need the presence of a stable, caring adult to serve as a positive role model.
- Partnerships are a way to make a difference in the “mission field” of public schools in your community.
- Partnerships strive to improve the academic achievement so that children will not inherit their parents’ illiteracy.
- Our mission is to feed AND educate the children!
The Importance of Access to Books
- Access to books is key to reading skills. Studies confirm that the number of books in the home directly predicts reading achievement. Children who grew up with books in their homes reached a higher level of education than those who did not. (Family Scholarly Culture and Educational Success)
- One study found that in middle income neighborhoods the ratio is 13 books per child; in low-income neighborhoods, the ratio is one book for every 300 children. (Neuman, Susan B. and David K. Dickinson, ed. Handbook of Early Literacy Research, Volume 2. New York, NY: 2006).